Friday, April 2, 2010

Educ 8845 Module 2 Blog

Response to Bill Kerr & Karl Kapp Blogs:

I agree fully with Bill Kerr in that learning theories' jobs are essentially the "rebels/radicals" of education. Learning theories are charged with the responsibility of challenging curriculum as society evolves, and in turn explaining the challenges posed by the theory's challenges to current thought in curriculum. In other words,

Curriculum should be based upon the ever constancy of change, evolution, or dare I say, REVOLUTION...

I do not agree with Stephen Downes' blanket rejection of behaviorism. I feel that as students vary, so should processes, strategies, and theories. Learning, teaching, and theorizing about learning and teaching should vary as well. In response to Kerr's blog: I agree!!!!

Karl Kapp also agrees with Bill Kerr: "What we need to do is take the best from each philosophy and use it wisely to create solid educational experiences for our learners." Essentially, this is what I am leaning more towards as a result of this Module's discussions. I see now that one can only reply that REALISTICALLY, there is not ONE sure theory/method which describes how learners learn best. It appears to me that Kapp notes appropriate levels of learning requires various theoreis/methods which describe the stage of learning. For instance, to utilize Bloom's Taxonomy , I definitely agree with Kapp that lower levels require more behavoristic approaches, whereas the higher levels can lean more upon cognitivism. In response to Kapp: learning is multi-leveled, so why shouldn't theories contain multiple levels or consist of many theories at many different levels?

Kerr and Kapp have offered an immense amount of insight into the processes of considering and choosing theories and strategies for student learning!

For Module 2, I've responded to the following blogs: Tiffany Wilkinson , Carol Lee

Resources Used:

http://learningevolves.wikispaces.com/

http://www.c21te.usf.edu/materials/institute/ct/bltax.gif

http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

http://karlkapp.blogspot.com/2007/01/out-and-about-discussion-on-educational.html

1 comment:

  1. Charity

    After reading your blog I must agree that just as the learner is varied the theoretical approach must be also. While behaviorism may be "dead" I find myself using an approach that is quite behavioral. While it is not the only approach to instruction that I make, it is one that is quite effective.

    Jane

    Jane

    ReplyDelete